News

‘A Huge Disruption’: Students Testing Positive for COVID-19 Report Confusing HUHS Communication

News

Local Businesses Fight for Revival of Harvard Square, Gear Up for Winter

News

DSO Staff Reflect on Fall Semester’s Successes, Planned Improvements for Spring

News

At Least Five GSAS Departments To Admit No Graduate Students Next Year

News

UC Passes Legislation to Increase Transparency of Community Council, HUPD

Hot Chili

By Marc E. Raven

A container of burning chili producing heavy smoke caused a fire alarm and the partial evacuation of the low-rise section of Mather House at about 4 a.m. yesterday, Harry W. Orf, Mather House senior tutor, said yesterday.

Orf said a student pulled the alarm when he smelled the smoke, created because the chili was left too long on a hotplate.

Alan M. Zunamon '79, a Mather resident, said not everyone in the low-rise section left the building during the alarm, adding, "I would figure that no more than half took it seriously if they woke up at all."

Orf said it was "very disturbing" that many students did not leave the building.

Want to keep up with breaking news? Subscribe to our email newsletter.

Tags