Winter Is A-Comin' In And Fall Is A-Going

Before things get under way, let me tell you about my Thanksgiving vacation. I got home Wednesday, had dinner, watched
By Marc M. Sadowsky

Before things get under way, let me tell you about my Thanksgiving vacation. I got home Wednesday, had dinner, watched television, and went to bed. From there it was downhill. I awoke at 4 a.m. with violent stomach pains which were to put me out of action for the next few days. Needless to say, I didn't eat much Thursday.

And how was your Thanksgiving?

After all of that concentrated football most of you watched over Thanksgiving, I'm sure you'll all be delighted to know that the winter sports season has finally begun and there are many sports to choose from. There are sports in the water, like swimming, sports on the ice, like hockey, and sports on wood, like basketball.

All the fun begins at 11 a.m. Saturday in that magnificent sports edifice, the IAB, which once was the home of Theodore Roosevelt; (I don't understand that either.) The women's swimming team will open its home season against Boston University. At 2 p.m. the men will take the water and try to sink Navy. However, the Midshipmen will be well-equipped this season--each swimmer has his own nuclear submarine and missiles with long-range capabilities. This should prove to be one of the Crimson's toughest battles this year.

At noon the winter season starts off with a bang when the women's fencing team duels a team from Southeastern Massachusetts University (SMU). At 2 p.m. the men fencers will slice through what is left of SMU.

At 1:30 p.m. in the spacious and well-lit basketball suite of the IAB, coach Frank McLaughlin will take his men's basketball team out to play Boston College. McLaughlin puts a lot of emphasis on student support, so I want to see all of you in the IAB to catch this game. This is a required event. And if you haven't had enough basketball after that, you can stay around and watch the freshmen play B.C.'s J.V. This will give you your first chance to see the stars of tomorrow.

And Saturday night we're talking about hockey. When I went to last week's game against U. of Vermont the guards wouldn't let me in just because I didn't have a ticket. Eventually I did get in but had I arrived on time I would have been decapitated by a puck that landed in the space reserved for me.

Saturday night the surprising pucksters will be taking on the University of Pennsylvania, a.k.a Penn, a.k.a. the Quakers. The game will begin at 7:30 p.m. and will be played in Watson Rink. I anticipate few problems getting into the game because I've taken the precaution of getting tickets in advance.

This column received its first letter this week from a Harvard student. For her creative writing class this student decided to write a first-person piece pretending to be me at a Harvard hockey games. The result is very interesting.

Dear Marc,

My eyes drifted over to the band where they suddenly riveted on a dark-haired beauty, delicately holding a silver flute. Under her band jacket, I could see her incredibly expensive cashmere sweater and silk blouse. Pure gold rings embellished her fingers. Diamonds hung from her ears.

Yes, it was live, my dear audience. I never thought it could happen because of a "bandie" as they call themselves, but it did. Oh the misery of it all.

So I turned to my neighbor, a wandering bandie, and said, or rather whispered with my last ounce of strength, "Who is that...woman?"

And he say, "Norm's girlfriend." Sincerely, Susie

Thank you very much Susie foring with us that superb prose. If any one else wants to write letters to this column, please do so. The last piece of mail I got informed me that there was a sale on baby clothes at a local store.

Looking toward next week, the women's basketball team will be hosting Northeastern Monday at 7:30 p.m. in the IAB and will challenge Bentley Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. The men will battle on Bentley Tuesday at 7:30 p.m.

The first home squash matches will be held next week. Tuesday the women will hit around with Wellesley at 3 p.m. in the Hemenway Gym. The men will kick off their home season against Amherst Wednesday at 4 p.m. in the very same gym.

Wednesday night in one of the biggest nights of the hockey season. For on that night, at 7:30, the Crimson will be singing "Screw B.U." and skating against the hockey team of that school. Diehard fans will have to venture to across the river to see this match, but not across the river to Watson. You see, it's being played in the Walter Brown arena at B.U. Between periods all new owners of long-sleeved Lacoste shirts will be introduced, in salute to preppies.

Be there. Aloha.