Crimson Women Cagers Topple As Kando Leads Bruins, 56-49

By Gerard F. Daley

The Brown Bruins clawed their way past the Harvard women's basketball team Saturday night at Brown, 56-49, whittling Harvard's record down to a disappointing 2-3.

Coach Carole Kleinfelder said Sunday that Brown out-rebounded the Harvard women by approximately a two-to-one margin. Harvard managed to scrape up a paltry 19 rebounds, and obviously that kind of figure just doesn't make the grade against any half-decent team, which Brown amply proved itself to be. In addition, shooting was sub-par, and was limited to a very few people.

"Lack of scoring distribution hurt us," Kleinfelder said. She added, "We can't have one or two people doing all the scoring and expect to win. Teams key on Caryn [Curry] or the other person who's shooting, and the four people who are open do not get the ball. And overall, they just out-hustled us."

Game-high scorer was Brown's Kando with 20 points. Guard Caryn Curry led the Crimson five with 18 points, going 9-16 from the floor. Harvard's Wendy Carle, a forward, poured in 13 points, firing 6-11 from the floor. Brown's Lynn Johnson racked up 14.

Kleinfelder and several players agreed that the lack of hustle was the most obvious problem with the Harvard game. Seventeen turnovers did not help much, either.

Harvard seemed to be enjoying a pleasant night in Providence at the half, closing out with a 26-22 lead. Early in the second half, however, the momentum swung rapidly to Brown. Harvard stayed in the game, though, and did manage to surge to within three points with three minutes remaining, but a turnover and a couple of quick buckets by Lynn Johnson of Brown put the win out of reach.

This team is much more talented than it appeared Saturday night. With a little luck, a loss like this one can be used as a spur to bring out the extra hustle needed to win. The next game is Monday night at Fitchburg State.