Two simultaneous false fire alarms in Lamont Library yesterday sent 150 to 200 people out into the ten-degree weather after a smoke detector in the second-floor smoking room was triggered and someone pulled an alarm on the sixth floor.
Jane R. Morhardt, assistant to the Lamont librarian, said yesterday, "Apparently, someone put a cigarette under the smoke detector, setting it off, and then someone heard the warning and pulled the alarm on the sixth floor."
"There was a fair amount of smoke in the smoking room, but the detector may have been more sensitive than usual," Frank E. Lamentea, the library's assistant business manager, said yesterday.
Morhardt said evacuation is the typical procedure followed when an alarm is pulled, but he added the library staff is trained in the use of fire extinguishers to put out small local fires.
James U. Rafferty, captain of the Cambridge fire department, reset the alarm and students were then allowed to reenter the building.
Fire Alarm Evacuates Prescott St. Apt. BuildingResidents of an apartment building at 20 Prescott St. were evacuated last night after the Cambridge Fire Department responded to
Adams House Fire Forces EvacuationA fire that started in a trash can and spread to an adjoining bulletin board in Adams House's C entry
Smoke in WidenerHarvard engineers and Cambridge firemen rushed to Widener Library at noon yesterday when smoke was noticed filling the Widener Memorial
Buildings EvacuatedTwo fire trucks and a rescue unit responded at 8:45 last night to a telephone call reporting smoke at 1780
Dormitory Fire Alarm DeactivatedA fire alarm that went off in Lowell House at about 9 a.m. Saturday morning was not reactivated until later
The Fire Next TimeW HEN THE University's fire alarm bell system breaks down twice in a year, it's reasonable to feel generally alarmed.