Vacation Heat

By Kevin Shaw

It will be sweater weather throughout the Houses over the holiday break as the University will turn down the heat in an effort to save on heating costs.

Starting Sunday at noon and extending until noon on January 2, the temperatures of the Houses will decline to a 55-60 degree range.

Special warm study areas in each housing area will be maintained for those students who plan to stay in residence over the break. In addition, this year's heating policy has increased the number of libraries remaining open over the holiday recess, in contrast with the heating policies of the past two years, Dean Fox said yesterday.

For those wishing to avoid the lure of an open library, Watson Rink and the Palmer Dixon tennis courts will remain open throughout the holiday season.

Two years ago, in the midst of the energy crunch, the temperature in the Houses was turned down to 40 degrees, except for special warm areas that housed tutors and students. This attempt to save on heating costs resulted in the flooding of more than 20 suites when the temperature dropped too low and the heating pipes of four Houses froze.