Crimson Fencers Dismember Brandeis, 21-6

By Stephen A. Herzenberg

Fencing in a 20- by 30-ft. compartment reminiscent of a renovated bathroom, the Harvard fencing team impaled lacklustre Brandeis at Brandeis last night, preserving the perfect records of the 1977 Harvard-Radcliffe varsity and J.V. squads.

Every one of the 13 Crimson fencers, including four substitutes, won at least once against a Brandeis squad that, to be perfectly honest, dueled in a manner befitting the surroundings.

Despite the absence of star fencer Eric Mandelbaum, the foil team led the way for the Crimson capturing all nine of their bouts. Freshman Dave Hanower lost only three points as he went 3-0.

Naturally pleased with his perfect record, Hanower still felt he fenced a "little sloppily" in his first two bouts. In his third, however, he fenced extremely efficiently, polishing off his foe in 19 seconds, three seconds shy of the unofficial record for the shortest Crimson victory ever.

Epeeman Robert Kaplan gained the decisive fourteenth victory against Brandeis, keeping out of reach of his opponent, then thrusting his blade forward when the opponent overcommitted himself.

Each of the four Harvard substitutes--sabreman Kerry Sulkowicz and Jim Goldenring, and foilsmen Peter Gordon and Jai Rho--who came in during the last of the three fencing rounds triumphed, allowing only five touches against themselves.

Epeeman Bob Tillman fenced powerfully, losing only five points and maintaining his competitive intensity despite the poor quality of the opposition.

The Brandeis match ended the men's 1977 schedule. With luck, the team's future bouts will be held in more congenial settings.