Students Organize To Oppose Spread Of Nuclear Power

The Harvard Anti-Nuclear Alliance held its first meeting last night in Science Center D before an audience of 50 University students and faculty members.

The group has organized to protest the construction of nuclear power plants, to campaign for nuclear disarmament, and to educate Cambridge citizens on energy-related matters.

"We want to project a positive image," Geoffrey P. Bernstein '80, one of the group's organizers, said yesterday. "We stand for safe, clean, renewable energy like solar and wind power and a diversion of military funds toward meeting social needs."

The new alternatives to nuclear power, which depend on existing technology, will avoid the necessity of storing wastes that remain toxic for 500,000 years, he added.

Representatives from the Clamshell Alliance, a New England anti-nuclear group which sponsored the Seabrook occupation, and the Mobilization for Survival, a national organization advocating disarmament, spoke to the group.

The new group plans to work with other "anti-nuke" groups in the area to prepare for a second occupation of the Seabrook nuclear power plant, 30 miles north of Boston, in the spring.

"The people who came to the meeting were energetic and expressed a willingness to devote time to the group's future activities," Bernstein said.