Police Union and University Resume Contract Negotiations

By Michael A. Calabrese

The Harvard policeman's union and the University resumed contract negotiations yesterday as the two sides tried to dispel the antagonisms which brought a temporary end to the negotiations late last month.

Although no major new agreement was reached during the two-and-a-half hour meeting, the two sides discussed the non-economic issues which had lowered the department's morale and stalled the wage bargaining, Lawrence Lettiri, president of the Police Association, said yesterday.

Henry Wise '18, attorney for the union, said yesterday that the negotiations now hinge on a "question of attitudes."

"It is now up to the University to take the initiative in advancing proposals which will relieve the distrust the officers have of the police administration so that contract talks can resume," he added.

Spokesmen for both the University and the union said yesterday that when negotiations reconvene on February 25, the University will make certain proposals, but neither side would comment on the substance of the new offers.

Lettiri said these proposals will be part of an effort on both sides to boost the morale in the department.

Wise said earlier this week the officers have a "deep mistrust of the chief of police" since they believe he is trying to force men out of the department by in-creasing the workload and training requirements while decreasing the total number of patrolmen on the force.

David L. Gorski, chief of police, recently attributed such anxieties to "the traumas associated with organizational change."