'Cliffe Squash Trounces Bowdoin, 7-0

Victory Brings Season Record to 9-4

By Peter Mcloughlin

The women's varsity squash team annihilated Bowdoin yesterday with a 7-0 shellacking at Hemenway gymnasium. The victory, in Radcliffe's last match of the season, boosted the Crimson record to 9-4.

The top four players on the team will participate in the women's intercollegiate championships in Philadelphia this Friday, Saturday and Sunday.

Junior captain Julia Moore smashed her opponent Andrea Todaro in three games, 15-10, 15-10, 15-3, at the number one position. Moore, who finished her season with an 11-2 record, will be making the trip to Philadephia, accompanied by number two player Sarah Mleczko and number three Jenny Stone. The fourth player to be entered in the three-round event will be decided in a match this week.

Mleczko waltzed through her match yesterday against Margy White by the flashy scores of 15-7, 15-4, 15-12. With this trouncing, the freshman pumped her season statistics to a vicious 10-3 mark.

The fifth player in the women's ladder, Eve Caligor, easily cut down Bowdoin's Martha Sullivan, 15-4, 15-10, 15-10. Caligor, a junior, had performed at number four all season until freshman Margot McGlade defeated her this past week in an intra-squad challenge match. Caligor and McGlade will play another intra-squad match this week to decide who will be the fourth Harvard representative at the three-day even in Philadelphia.

With Harvard leading 3-1, number three Jenny Stone was smacking the walls in tight competition with Julie Harowitz. Stone won the first game, 15-5, and then lost the second, 11-15. Between the second and third games, the freshman regained her poise and romped through the remaining two bouts, 15-7 and 15-4. Stone's victory gave the women their ninth victory of the season.

McGlade stumbled in her first contest, 9-15, then muscled her way to convincing 15-10, 15-11 and 15-7 triumphs over Barbara Gross. Freshman Becky Tung was totally ruthless at number seven as she bounced over Sue Slough, 15-5, 15-5 and 15-7.

A Comfortable Victory

With the team victory comfortably in hand, all eyes turned to the last bout of the afternoon. Playing the last match of the season and the final contest of her career, senior Becky Miles emerged victorious from a topsy-turvy struggle, 8-15, 15-5, 14-17, 15-3 and 15-12.

"This was my last match at Harvard," Miles said yesterday. "All my friends were watching. My opponent was good. It was a great match."