Union Snack Shop Open Now to Battle Late-Night Munches

By Robert Baggott

A pair of enterprising Holworthy freshmen are attempting to turn the Freshmen reading period doughnut give-away into a profit-making "student center."

The "Union Shop Snack Stop", as its creators Marc J. Sobil '80 and Michael P. Korn '80 christened the center, opened Monday night, turning the Quincy St. dining room of the Union into a food emporium for famished freshmen.

The main attractions of the Quincy St. center are 12-in. subs, television, and an after 11 p.m. Yard-only delivery service.

The center's publicity advertises a combination of roast beef and TV's Charlie's Angels.

Soda, chips, coffee and doughnuts will round out the menu for dedicated tube watchers.

Korn said yesterday he was dissatisfied with the lack of facilities at the Union. The Quincy dining room is merely a room full of tables, the center has no access to cooking facilities, and is required to close after 11 p.m.

Korn said he hopes to upgrade the center with the addition of air hockey and pinball games.

Despite the attractions, business Monday night was "pretty slow," Korn said.

A Union employee, who asked to remain anonymous, said "they only sold four or five sandwiches" on opening night.

When asked about the "slow" grand opening, a nonplussed Sobil said, "It's there for the people and if they don't use it they lose it."