NCAA Opens Diving Qualifying Meet

Gavin, Greacen, Schramm and Toal to Compete

By Sandy Cardin

Four members of the Harvard swimming team left Cambridge Wednesday for Ithaca, N.Y., and the NCAA pre-qualifying diving championships being held today and tomorrow at Cornell University.

Although five Crimson divers qualified during the regular season for this competition--which is one of six regional meets designed to winnow out 40 finalists for the national championships later this month--only four chose to make the trip.

Accompanying coach John Walker to the pastoral Cornell campus in upstate New York were Jamie Greacen, Mike Toal, and two freshmen, Steve Schramm and Craig Gavin. Roger Johanigman chose not to compete.

Only four divers may qualify for the national meet from this region. The scheduled format matches that of the Eastern championships, offering dives from both the one- and three-meter boards. In the Easterns, Mike Toal finished fourth in the one-meter segment while Jamie Greacen placed third in the three-meter.

Harvard expects its stiffest diving competition from two fronts--Dartmouth and host Cornell. Early predictions show John Evans of the Big Green and Paul Steck of the Big Red providing the Big Threats.

Harvard men hold an advantage in consistency. In a sport where it is probably the most crucial factor, the Crimson quartet has repeatedly displayed the requisite steadiness.

Finesse vs. Power

If they are to win, however, each Crimson diver must produce one of his best performances. Toal and Schramm are known as finesse divers, exhibiting remarkable fluidity of form. Greacen and Gavin, on the other hand, are more powerful divers who exploit their unusual jumping ability.

So for these four divers, the season is this weekend. How they perform today and Saturday will determine whether they go to Cleveland for the national meet in two weeks or start planning their spring vacation instead. For at least one of them, Cleveland should be in order.