UNH, B.U. Win ECAC Semis

Teams Will Meet in Finals Tonight

By Peter Mcloughlin

Intense, incredible. Nineteen seconds into the second sudden death overtime period UNH sophomore Bob Gould drilled a 20-foot wrist shot past Cornell goalie Steve Napier to give the UNH Wildcats a 10-9 victory in the first game of the ECAC semi-final held at the Boston Garden last night.

In the second game B.U. freshman David Silk drilled a drop pass from Rich Meagher past Clarkson goalie Brian Shields at 19:23 of the third period to give the B.U. Terriers a 7-6 come-from-behind victory over the Golden Knights of Clarkson.

Ralph Cox of New Hampshire scored at 15:40 of the third period to send the game into overtime. Until that moment, Cornell had been threatening to put the game out of reach but the Wildcats never stopped clawing back.

The tempo was established early in the contest as Cornell's John Stornick ripped a 20-footer past All-American goaltender Dave Magnarelli at 1:52. The tenaciously fast, hard-hitting pace never subsided.

Gould evened the score for the Wildcats at 3:11 of the first and UNH's Bob Miller, the ex-Olympic star, slapped a blazer past Napier at 7:59. Cornell's Mark Weiss answered for the Big Red at 10:23, but Bruce Crowder popped one in at 17:55 to give UNH the lead at the end of one.

Cornell came out firing in the second period, quickly blasting three goals past an unsteady Magnarelli. Towering defenseman Peter Sheir deked Paul Surdam at the blue line and rocketed a slap shot into the net at 1:24.

Cornell's captain, Mark Trivett, connected at 5:30 and teammate George Corneil scored, 23 seconds later on a wrister through Magnarelli's legs. Cornell was outhitting and beating UNH to the puck. But the Wildcats fought back.

A Cornell goal was sandwiched between a Jon Fontas power play tally and two goals off rebounds by UNH's Jim Harris and Miller. Cornell 6, UNH 6, after two.

Trivett hit for his second score of the game and teammate Corneil notched his second just 16 seconds later at 9:23 of the third. Cornell, 8 UNH, 6. At 10:39 Gould scored his second on a breakaway as Fontas assisted. The Big Reds' Corneil beat Magnarelli for the hat trick at 12:19.

The Wildcats, with 4:20 remaining in the third again stormed back. Crowder bombed a 35-footer off Napier's arm. Only ten seconds later, Cox banged in the tying goal. UNH's Miller hit the post on a deflection minutes later as the Wildcats had several chances to win it in the last minute of the third.

Cornell controlled most of the first ten-minute overtime period. Carl English shot the puck into Magnarelli's chest while standing alone in front of the goal after a two-on-one break.

With UNH on the power play after Dave Ambrosia was called for hooking, Cornell's Stornick stole the puck from Rod Langley and skated in all alone on Magnarelli, but the UNH goaltender made a sprawling save.

Magnarelli, who had allowed three goals to dribble off his pads and into the net earlier, had made two game-saving stops to set up Gould's heroics with only 19 seconds expired in the second overtime.

Clarkson led the entire second game until B.U.'s John Bethel scored at 18:59 of the third stanza. It was Clarkson 2-0 at the end of the first period and 4-3 after the second. Clarkson captain Dave Taylor, who set an ECAC record by scoring 100 points this season, assisted on five goals.

Clarkson's Bill Blackwood scored at 16:02 of the third to give the Golden Knights a 6-4 lead. But Clarkson's Sid Tanchak was called for holding 15 seconds later and BU's Mike Eruzione connected on the power play at 16:55. Bethel then tied it one minute later.

Silk's goal with 37 seconds left in the period put B.U. in the NCAA championship tournament along with UNH.