Generally Speaking, In Particular...

B.S. on Sports

By Bill Scheft

In a week during which I lost my glasses (misplaced) and my driver's license (misdemeanor), excitement hasn't been too hard to find. Although sweat suits have replaced game uniforms for the time being at Harvard, life still goes on in the sports world, with its usual regularity and surprisingly consistent lapses into boredom.

Barring any miracles, the NBA's first merger season has been anti-climactic to say the least. The good teams are not exciting (Sorry, George and Dr. J.) and the exciting teams are not good (you're looking a little tarnished, Pearl).

NCAA hoop has picked up the slack a bit, now that nobody has any idea of who the best team in the nation really is. San Francisco had its cover blown two weeks in a row when Notre Dame and Nevada-Las Vegas proved that the Dons' schedule is about as formidable as Beaver Country Day's.

Meanwhile, Michigan had enough trouble with Ronnie Perry-less Holy Cross (a close 92-81 win) to make me wonder whether Harvard shouldn't challenge the Wolverines next season. The Crimson lost by only 18 to a full Crusader squad last December.

My suggestion is not to worry about that silly Number One ranking. Just sit back and watch the tournament justify UCLA's claim to the top spot for the umpteenth year. Somehow, it just always happens that way.

Basketball, however, is a distant third in the sports boredom race behind the Superstars and NHL hockey. The former was once a good idea that Bob Seagren, Kyle Rote Jr., and Reggie Jackson all pitched in to ruin.

As for Montreal Canadian Enterprises, Ltd., the televised ECAC hockey games this winter proved the NHL about as exciting as an American cheese sandwich. On white.

It almost makes you want to bag the excruciatingly long seasons of the NBA and the NHL completely, and just get right down to the playoffs, when people seem to move faster, referees seem to be sharper, and exciting games come in bunches.

#######

Which brings us to spring sports at Harvard. A quick rundown shows men's lacrosse and women's tennis to be the strongest suits in the Crimson deck. Baseball and Radcliffe lax should enjoy super rebounding seasons. Harvard tennis won't miss Jack Barnaby or Gary Reiner all that much. And then there's Alex Vik, El Sid, and the golf team.

Harvard crew? Harry Parker? 'Nuff said there.

#######

From the "I don't believe it" department: The story going around is that former Harvard hockey star Dave Hynes is plenty good enough to play in the WHA. How come he's not there then?

Well, it seems that Hynes values his head enough to wear a helmet while he plays, and in case you haven't noticed, that is virtually taboo in pro hockey. This masochistic spirit has spread to the point where Teddy Green has permanently doffed his padded chapeau and exposed his plated head to the sticks and fingernails of his WHA counterparts.

That, however, is nothing compared to what basketball captain Jeff Hill told me last week about the shabby treatment the administration gives the hoopsters. It seems the University was content with having the tall guys take the MTA to the airport for their distant road games, which is fine if you're Pencey Prep.

Although Hill has remedied this situation, the attitude towards the cagers is still one of second-class athletes vs. the hockey team. Let's have a little parity before next year's squad makes fools out of the front office.

Maybe next week I'll be coherent.