Another Plan for The Core

CORE

By David Beach

For the past few months, administrators and faculty members have been criticizing the General Education Program, and now some students say they agree.

The Educational Resources Group (ERG), a 30-member student group that chooses the student members of the Committee on Undergraduate Education (CUE), released a report Thursday that outlines an alternative to the plan for a core curriculum set forth by the Task Xorce on the Core Curriculum.

The student proposal lists seven areas that would make up a core curriculum that are similar to the eight areas proposed by the task force, but it advocates a two-for-one bypass rule to allow students to get core credit for departmental courses.

Overall, the core curriculum issue is not developing into a question about how to categorize the core areas. Most people agree that the present trinity of Nat Sci, Soc Sci and Hum are too broad, and that a greater number of smaller categories are desirable.

But whether a new system has seven or eight divisions will be the result of a rather arbitrary decision.