Cox Reveals New Plans For Courts

By J. WYATT Emmerich

Archibald Cox '34, Loeb University Professor, told 80 members of the Cambridge Republican City Committee at the Sheraton Commander Hotel yesterday that a state juducial reform committee he is heading has recommended comprehensive consolidation of the Massachusetts court system.

Antique Justice

"We do face what I describe as a crisis," Cox said. "We have an out-moded, highly decentralized 19th-century court system which needs to be overhauled."

Cox said the special committee, appointed by Gov. Michael S. Dukakis, outlined a four-point plan for improving Massachusetts courts:

Vesting the chief justice of the Supreme Court with the power to run the entire judicial system;

Creating a strong administrative office to serve as "the eyes and ears" of the Chief Justice;

Bringing the finances for the judiciary under the control of one budget; and

Unifying the probate court, the land court, the housing court, and the district court.

Cox said adoption of the committee's proposals would eliminate waste and inefficiency, speed up trials, and allow long-range budget planning.

In addition, he said he is speaking to civic groups several times a week to make sure the proposals will be translated into genuine reform.

"Some lawyers and judges are opposed to our court reform package simply because they fear change," Cox said. He added, "Those who benefit from the present system want things to stay the way they are."

Under the committee's proposals, many cases will not be allowed to be appealed to the Massachusetts Supreme Court, Cox said