Linksmen Bury Brown And B.C. at Agawam Course

By Robert Sidorsky, Special to the Crimson

EAST PROVIDENCE, R.I.--The Crimson golfers blitzed the linksters from B.C. and Brown with four sub-eighty rounds over the muggy moonscape of the Agawam Hunt golf club here this afternoon.

The linksmen bolted into the clubhouse with an aggregate team score of 389 while the Eagles totaled 403 and the Bruins piled up a giddy 449 strokes.

Harvard's Spencer Fitzgibbons took medalist honors, avoiding the furrowed pot bunkers of this course founded in 1897, for his four over par 75. Sandwiched around Fitzgibbons in the line-up were Alex Vik and freshman Jim Dales, who both went around in 77. Playing at number four, Dave Paxton carded a 78.

Jon Chase fired an 82 while Charlie Woodworth and George Arnold brought up the rear for the Crimson.

Fitzbibbons got off to a shaky start when his 4-iron rolled through the second green and he had quickly lost two strokes to par. He came back with a charging birdie on the par five 5th when he negotiated a tricky grade to sink his five-foot putt.

Fitzgibbons also birdied the par five 14th with a salvo of four flawless shots. He cleared the water hazard that guards the 14th green on his second shot, a 4-iron he caught flush, but the ball kicked off the slope of the green and he needed a chip and a putt for his birdie.

The 175 yard 2nd, where the green is ringed by a shrubbery-laden embankment, proved the most ferocious hole on the course. Dales bladed a 5-iron onto the froghair of the right corner of the green. Dales was the only member of his threesome to find the green, as his playing partners took double and triple bogeys.

The tee shot of B.C.'s number three man plunked down in a pine tree, from which he extricated it by hitting with the backside of his club. Cahill of Brown found his ball suspended in a bush but he managed to nudge it onto the macadam path that leads up to the green, only to have it roll 60 yards backwards toward the tee.

The Scenic 7th

As for Vik, he never managed to unfurl the par-pummelling golf he displayed in Monday's match against Tufts, as he took a double bogey on the 1st hole after bellying a bunker shot. After taking three putts on the scenic 7th, where the green is girdled by deeply-gouged bunkers, he settled down to par the five next holes.

The linksters had their troubles with the demanding 6th hole, a 463 yard par four with an hourglass fairway. Vik came away with a five while Paxton salvaged a bogey by punching a shot through some overhanging tree limbs onto the green.

The linksmen return to Agawam on Friday for the Ivy League Golf Championship