Asia Center Receives $600,000

Mellon Grant Boosts Funds for Endowment

By Laurie Hays

The East Asian Studies program has received $600,000 from the Mellon Foundation as part of a fund drive to establish a permanent endowment for the East Asian Research Center.

The Mellon gift is one of 11 grants presented to East Asian centers in the country.

Ezra F. Vogel, professor of Sociology and chairman of the Council on East Asian Studies, said yesterday the money will be crucial in supporting East Asian studies because the Ford Foundation announced earlier this year that it would discontinue support of the centers.

The East Asian Research Center, renamed the John K. Fairbank Center for East Asian Research two weeks ago, needs $2.4 million for a minimum endowment to continue studies on a permanent basis, Vogel said.

The center may receive $600,000 from the Ford Foundation if it can be matched by three times that amount. The Mellon gift will be used to help reach the $1.8 million needed.

In February, President Bok received $1.2 million in pledges during a two week trip to East Asia, some of which may be used to match the Ford grant, William S. Olney '46, director of special projects, said yesterday.

The $1 million pledged by Harvard's fundraising group in Hong Kong to support Chinese Studies and an additional $200,000 pledged by the Harvard Club of Taiwan have not yet been received by the University, Vogel said.