Springfield Track Women Dominate Radcliffe, 84-34

By Keith Salkowski

The Springfield State College woman's track team utilized both superior talent and depth to decisively defeat Radcliffe yesterday, 84-34.

Displaying the form that has allowed them to dominate New England track, Springfield won eight of 12 individual events and both relays. But they didn't stop there, ensuring themselves of a solid victory by taking ten second places.

Springfield's attack was especially awesome in the weight events. In the shot put, javelin, and discus alone SSC outscored the 'Cliffe, 26-1. Debbie Vogel prevented a clean sweep for Springfield by placing third in the shot.

High Points

Despite being overwhelmed as a team, Radcliffe runners produced several outstanding individual efforts.

Kathy Rice's victory in the long jump was the 'Cliffe's most impressive showing. Besides providing one of the team's few winning performances, her 18' 3/4" leap qualified the sophomore for the National Collegiate Athletic Association track and field meet.

Victory Sprints

Patricia Gopaul also enjoyed a productive day for Radcliffe, sprinting to victory in the 100 and 220 yard dashes and anchoring the quarter-mile relay team.

The 'Cliffe's Sarah Linsley finished far ahead of the competition in the mile, covering the distance in a mere 5:25.2. The sophomore runner crossed the finish line eleven seconds in front of her nearest opponent.

Leaping Loiselle

Kathy Loiselle proved to be Springfield's big gun, winning the 100 yard hurdles with a time of 17.3 seconds and the high jump with a leap of 5'2".

Radcliffe's busiest thinclad was Sue Harper, who ran in both relays, finished second in the hurdles and third in the long jump.