Police Disperse Loud Lampoon Supper Party

By Susan D. Chira

Harvard and Cambridge police converged on the Lampoon Castle early yesterday morning to break up the end of a loud dinner party after Harvard police received a complaint about the noise.

Robert J. Mudge, coordinator of records and communications for the University Police, said yesterday the police received a complaint from Adams House residents at 1:30 a.m. followed by a call from Cambridge police requesting help in breaking up the party.

Mudge added that Harvard police often have to disperse Lampoon parties. "It's gotten to be a tradition down there," he said.

Allan J. Arffa '77, a Lampoon editor, said yesterday the Lampoon party for 30 to 40 Lampoon staff members did not differ from the Lampoon's usual weekly parties.

Arffa said that when Adams House residents call the police, it "is part of the ritual," which also often included water ballon attacks from Adams and Claverly Hall resident whose windows face the castle.

Noise

David Heilbrener '79, an Adams House resident, said yesterday he and his roommate got angry when Lampoon students began screaming and breaking bottles in the street outside the residents window.

He called the party "the noisiest so far this year."

After the police left, the Lampoon editors pretended to fire a cannon, Richard J. Westelman '79 said yesterday.