Democrats Hold Ward Debates To Select Convention Delegates

By Laurie Hays

Several Harvard students participated in Democratic caucuses Saturday morning, where they elected delegates and discussed issues that will be raised at the June 18 states' issues convention.

Three students and one Harvard professor attended the meeting for residents of Ward Seven, which includes the Quad.

Dana M. Stein '80, an associate member of the ward, said he thought more students would have attended the ward meeting if it had been publicized. Stein said the 1000 Harvard students registered in the ward were not sent announcements of the caucus because the committee did not have enough money for such a mailing.

Cambridge residents who met in ward meetings throughtout the city discussed and voted on ten national and state issues that will be submitted as policy proposals to the Democratic State committee in the hope that convention delegates will adopt positions that reflect party members' opinions.

"The caucuses are a good way to get people involved between elections in what their elected officials are doing and to increase citizen participation in the party," David Sullivan, a third-year law student who helped organize the caucuses, said yesterday.

Sullivan said he has been disappointed by attendance levels, and cited inadequate publicity and Saturday morning rain as possible factors. "However, these meetings were the first of their kind, and no matter who shows up, it is important," Sullivan added.

The issues discussed included the Carter energy program, nuclear disarmament and arms control, and U.S. policy on human rights.

Substantive Debate

Alice Wolf, chairman of Ward Seven and a graduate student at the Kennedy School of Government, said yesterday there were substantive discussions on all of the issues except international economic policy. Wolf said her ward had also requested the delegates to report back to Ward Seven after the convention to provide feedback.

"We would like the delegates to use their own heads when they decide on these issues in June, but we expect our discussions to make a difference," James L. Adams, Mallinckrodt Professor of Divinity Emeritus, yaid yesterday.

Stein, who worked for the Carter-Mondale campaign last fall, said there is an ongoing effort to involve Harvard students in Cambridge politics.