'Cliffe Lacrosse Beats Bowdoin As Mleczko Scores Hat Trick

By Keith Salkowski

"If you can catch and throw in this game, you can win," Radcliffe lacrosse coach Debi Field said yesterday after her team caught and threw its way to a 7-4 victory over Bowdoin.

Freshman Sarah Mleczko again dominated the offensive game, scoring three goals, assisting on another, and generally intimidating Bowdoin's defensive players with her fancy stick work and aggresive play.

Mleczko notched her first score less than a half-minute into the contest, and it looked as though the 'Cliffe laxwomen were on their way to another easy victory.

But Bowdoin's Sally Clayton soon dispelled that notion, tying the game at one-all four minutes later.

Team captain Anne Johnson put Radcliffe back on top, scoring with eight and a half minutes gone. Wistie Oppenlander, with a little help from Mleczko, made it 3-1 less than a minute later, and again it appeared as though the 'Cliffe was off and running.

Another Bowdoin score, this one by Martha Sullivan, temporarily checked Radcliffe's momentum, but Carrie Minot and Mleczko each tallied before the period ended.

A goal by Oppenlander late in the half was nullified because of a crease violation, and Radcliffe sat on a 5-2 advantage during halftime.

The opening minutes of the second half belonged to Radcliffe, as Oppenlander and then Mleczko scored to up the margin to 7-2, but Bowdoin refused to lie down and die.

Until a 'Cliffe blitzkrieg late in the period, Bowdoin controlled the ball most of the half, out-shooting their opponents 7-3.

Dee-fense

But Radcliffe goalie Sukie Magraw, aided immensely by the aggressive defensive play of omnipresent Laurie Benton, kept the damage to a minimum, allowing only a single score by Clayton.

Bowdoin's final goal came on a slick, sneak-around-from-behind-the crease move by Sullivan with two minutes left to play.

Besides being pleased with Radcliffe's sixth win this spring, Field said she was especially happy with the team's offensive play.

"I think we were more effective on attack than we have been. We used the free player well," she said.

The 'Cliffe laxwomen will attempt to improve their record to 8-1 when they play Dartmouth and Yale at Soldiers Field this Saturday morning.