CHUL Debates Make-Up of Student Body

Fewer Middle Class Students Accept Harvard

By Roger M. Klein

A wide-ranging discussion on the composition of the student body at a meeting of the Committee on Houses and Undergraduate Life (CHUL) yesterday produced a consensus that the financial problems facing middle income students are severe, but few suggestions on how to alleviate them.

Only about 70 per cent of these accepted by the University from the 30,000 to 40,000 income bracket choose to enroll, while about 80 per cent of the students whose families earn more or less than those in this group eventually attend, according to the "Report of the Task Force on the Composition of the Student Body," the subject of CHUL's meeting.

Cheap Schools

"This is one of the really big future problems," Dean Rosovsky said at the meeting, adding, "There are many cheap state schools which are desirable alternatives for students in the 20,000 to 40,000 bracket."

The proportion of the student body which comes from middle class families has been declining fro years, although it remains "substantial," L. Fred Jewett '57, dean of admissions and financial aid said at the meeting.

Rosovsky said possible solutions to the problem include creating more campus job opportunities for middle income students and stretching out the tuition payment schedule for these students.

In a discussion of other aspects of the report, Jewett said the admissions office has no precise goals for the number of minority group students in each entering class.

"In the '60s it was clear that all minority students were underrepresented, and we set long-range plans to allow them to come. But now there are no specific goals," he said.

Performance

In other developments at the meeting, CHUL voted unanimously to approve an addition to the "Regulations for Organizations" which will prohibit persons not directly affiliated with the University from taking part in performances by campus groups, without express faculty approval.