Five 'Cliffe Lacrosse Players Chosen for All-Star Competition

The Radcliffe lacrosse team travelled to Williams College last weekend to play in the New England College Tournament, for the selection of four all-star squads to play in next weekend's New England Regional Tournament.

Laurie Benton was named to the first team for the second year in a row. Julie Cornman made the second team, Wistie Oppenlander and goalie Sukie Magraw were named to the third team, and Carlyle Singer was picked to play on the fourth team.

As a team, the laxwomen fared well. On Saturday they topped Northeastern and Plymouth State by identical 9-6 scores. On Sunday, Radcliffe and Williams played to a 5-5 deadlock.

Though the tournament was intended simply to designate all-star teams, 'Cliffe coach Debi Field said she was very happy with the squad's play.

Togetherness

"We worked to put things together and play as a team, and that was exciting because we really played together. We made some mistakes, but we made them together," she said.

The regional tournament, to be held at the Noble and Greenough School in Dedham, Mass., will include the four college teams chosen at the College Tournament, a travelling squad from Australia and seven other amateur clubs from the New England area.

Radcliffe's two leading scorers, freshman Sarah Mleczko and senior Carrie Minot, did not participate in the tournament.