When The Revolution Comes

THE MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I was extremely upset to read Laurie Hays' article entitled "The Revolution Will Not Begin on Class Day." (Crimson, May 4, 1977). I thought sweeping generalizations about the students of the seventies were the exclusive property of Time magazine. I write to defend not only my classmates but also the other students of this decade from Hays' slanderous statement that "this Class Day may mark the beginning of the admitted complacency stage of undergraduate life here at Harvard."

I know that there are many students here who seem to have no other concern but grades, professional school and money. However, I also know that there are many students who have greater concerns. I have many classmates who, like myself, are genuinely concerned about the social, economic and political problems of the world, who anxiously seek to study these problems so that in the future our generation may resolve them. We, as heirs of the social upheaval of the late sixties, are quite aware of the need for change in many of our societies' institutions, principles and policies. On leaving Harvard we will go out to work towards change, myself in my own country, Ecuador, and my American friends here in the United States. For many of us the Revolution will begin on Class Day. Juan Carlos Pitarque '77