David Seldin

David C. Seldin '78 said yesterday he decided to take a Summer School biochemistry course "because I couldn't get a decent fulltime job and decided to do something educational for the summer."

Whatever its educational value, Seldin's summer schedule is certainly full. His course is a little easier than it would have been during the regular year, he said--"except for the fact that if it were during the year I'd never have taken a course that met a 9 a.m."--but he is also working as a bartender for the Harvard Student Agencies and spending two afternoons a week working as a volunteer in the emergency ward at Mass. General.

In addition, he said, a number of his friends have stayed around Cambridge this summer, so he spends a fair amount of time with them.

Seldin said he has not gotten to know very many Summer School students, in part because he is living off-campus. He said he finds he enjoys living outside a dormitory, and is considering doing so next fall.

But he is surprised at how quiet it is in the Yard these days. "I thought everyone would be partying, but it's real quiet," he said.