Glenn Dinnerstein

Glenn Dinnerstein has spent several of the last few summers away at camp, but this summer he's taking courses in American government and expository writing. Dinnerstein, who will be a senior next year at Elizabeth Irwin high school in New York, said yesterday he is enjoying his summer at Harvard, largely because it has not met his expectations.

"I expected people to be buried with their noses in books all the time, studying. But it isn't really like that at all. Some people do that, of course, but most people lead pretty normal lives," he said.

Before he came here, Dinnerstein said, he hadn't been sure about applying to Harvard for college. "I'd sort of heard that Harvard was a really over-rated school, but the classes have been good and I've liked it a lot," he said. He'll probably try to set up an interview with the undergraduate Admissions Office before he leaves Cambridge this summer.

For all its good points, there's one thing about the summer school that bothers Dinnerstein. "It's really a crime for them to charge us for using the athletic facilities and everything. But," he smiles, "we're finding ways of getting around that."