Ginn Might Take Over OCS--OCL

By Joanne L. Kenen

Robert J. Ginn Jr., associate director of the Office of Career Services and Off-Campus Learning, has been nominated to succeed Francis Fisher '47, who left his post as director of the OCS-OCL last spring to become Luce Professor of Ethics and the Professions at Haverford College.

James W. Wickenden, director of student and alumni services at the Graduate School of Education and the head of the OCS-OCL search committee, yesterday said the committee recommended Ginn to Dean Fox earlier this month. Fox was unavailable for comment yesterday.

Manhunt

The committee solicited names of candidates from educators and counselors throughout the country and found many who supported Ginn, including one very prominent adviser who described Ginn as "clearly the most qualified person in the country," Wickendon said.

Ginn yesterday said Fox approached him about the new post but no decision can be announced until the Corporation approves the appointment. Fox may still have one or two other applicants from outside Harvard under consideration, but Ginn is considered the most likely candidate.

The Corporation is meeting this Monday and Ginn, who has "high hopes" for the job, said he hopes to hear about his appointment then.

Counseling

Ginn has served as associate director for the OCS-OCL since 1972. His responsibilities in that post include supervising counselors, hiring new staff and counseling about 500 students per year.

Ginn was assistant director at the Office of Graduate and Career Plans, OCS-OCL's predecessor, for two years and was acting senior tutor at Quincy House for a year. He has also been a member of the Board of Freshman Advisers since 1971.