Confident Harriers To Begin Season Today

By Thomas A.J. Mcginn

Today the Crimson cross-country team begins its 1977 season with a dual meet against traditional heavies Providence and UMass.

They'll have a tough act to follow. Last year's team, coming off a dismal 2-4 dual meet record, demolished Princeton and Yale in a Big Three upset, then ran wild in the IC4As to an unexpected first place finish, and capped the season with a more than respectable (just being there was more than respectable) 23rd place finish in the NCAAs.

But if things go right, that is, if injuries and sickness don't reduce the team to a shadow of its potential strength, the Harvard cross-country team may well look forward to a successful epilogue to last year's storybook finish.

Exceptions

For one thing, with a few notable exceptions, the dramatis personae will be much the same this year. Last year's top gun, senior captain Jeff Campbell, has graduated, sophomore standout Rock Moulton has decided to take the year off, and junior Pete Fitzsimmons, who was anticipated to be one of this year's top contenders, will miss much of the season due to a severe case of tendonitis in both knees.

So much for the exceptions. The returning roster may be reasonably expected to carry the day. First there are the top guns. Senior captain Stein Rafto, sophomore Reid Eichner, and sophomore Ed Sheehan, will lead the pack this year.

Rafto is an experienced runner whose time has come. Plagued by serious knee problems last year, Rafto has had a few rough spots to polish in summer camp, but is nor running well. Eichner will return from a strong freshman season. A hot ticket when he's got his stuff together, he should improve as the season progresses.

But the real number to watch this year will be Ed Sheehan. Hobbled by injuries throughout the year, Sheehan has been burning up the track in the pre-season. The man whom coach Bill McCurdy calls the Red Menace, Sheehan can be expected to show marvelous-qualities of endurance in this year's competition.

Support for the Big Three should come in the shape of Marc Meyer and Thad McNulty. Meyer has had more experience with distance running, but McNulty has been a real surprise in practices thus far, according to McCurdy.

In today's meet, look for Providence to be the overwhelming favorite: a Harvard victory would be unlikely here. UMass, however, should provide a surer test of the team's ability, and the result may well set the tone for the rest of the season.