Centennial Contest

Graphic artists and choral composers can win money and fame in the upcoming Radcliffe Centennial celebration.

President Horner, speaking for the Radcliffe Centennial Committee, yesterday announced two competitions related to the observance of the college's 100th anniversay, which will be celebrated during the 1978-'79 academic year. Both competitions will be open to all Harvard-Radcliffe students.

"The Radcliffe College Centennial T-Shirt Competition" will award $100 for the best slogan and design commemmorating the Centennial. The winning design will adorn "Radcliffe Red" T-shirts to be sold as centennial memorabilia.

Entries are due March 1 at the Centennial Coordinator's office at 10 Garden St.

"Knowing the median verbal aptitude of our students, I'm sure they will coin a slogan befitting the significance of the occasion," Horner said yesterday.

The Committee will also award $500 to the best original musical tribute to Radcliffe's first 100 years written for women's voices and set to a text. The composition will be performed by the Radcliffe Choral Society next year.

Leon Kirchner, Rosen Professor of Music and one of the judgest in the contest, said yesterday the text and the music will receive equal weight in the judges' decision. "Musicians never separate the music from the Iyric. Good music is good music," Kirchner said.

Entrants in the musical competition must submit their compositions by May 1 to the Office for the Arts in Agassiz House.

Other programs to excite the public interest are in the works, Vicki Sharpley, Coordinator for the Centennial, said yesterday. Sharpley added the Committee welcomes student participation in any other form, and that all interested members of the University community should contact her office at 10 Garden St.