Women Take To Ice

Providence Loss Sets Up 1-3 Record

By Susan K. Mccune

Freshmen Sara Fischer and Tania Huber scored two goals for the Harvard women's ice hockey team as they dropped their second straight in Saturday night's loss to Providence, 6-2.

For the first time in Harvard's history, the women are hitting the ice in their eight game season as a club sport. At the halfway mark, their record stands at 1-3 with the only win coming in the second game against the Nashua Elks, an amateur team from New Hampshire.

"We played pretty well in keeping the puck down in their end, but we couldn't get it in the net. It was closer than the score indicates," Nelia Worsley, captain of the team, said yesterday. She was pleased with her team's performance since most of the Crimson's competitors have been playing for four years.

Win Some, Lose Some

Their first loss, 4-3, to B.U., came in overtime, but the Crimson came back against Nashua with a 4-2 win. Last week, two consecutive losses to Datmouth and Providence on Wednesday and Saturday respectively, dashed the Crimson's hopes of heading into exams with a winning record. Another freshman, Lauren Norton, the only highpoint of the outing, netted the two goals against Dartmouth.

Huber, Norton, and Fischer have all played ice hockey before coming to Harvard, but many of the people who come to practice have never even skated before.

On February 9, the Crimson takes the ice again as they host Providence in a rematch. The icewomen hope to sharpen their shooting by then so they can capitalize on their ability to control the puck.