Bruins Dominate Capitols at Garden, 4-1

By Marin J. Strmecki

The Boston Bruins defeated the Washington Capitals 4-1 last night at the Boston Garden as Don Marcotte scored two goals and added an assist and Bobby Schmautz contributed one goal and two assists.

The game was particularly one-sided in the first period. The Bruins took 15 shots on goal and scored once while the Caps took an embarrassing total of one shot the entire period, that one coming with only 12 seconds left in the period.

Only the fine play of Washington goalie Jim Bedard stopped the Bruins from an early rout of the Caps.

The Bruins' first-period goal came at 14:02 when Schmautz passed from the right side of the blueline to Marcotte who had positioned himself near the Caps' goal and backhanded the puck into the net.

Terry O'Reilly took advantage of a Bruin power play and a rebound of a Schmautz shot, and he scored the second goal at 19:30 in the first period.

At 8:14 in the second period, Robert Picard scored the only goal for the Caps by shooting from the blueline and deflecting his shot off a Bruin and past goalie Gilles Gilbert.

Schmautz scored a short-handed goal at 2:17 in the third period to make the score 3-1. Marcotte added the finishing touches two minutes later.