Crimson Squads Pick Up Key Victories

Booters Win, 3-0

The Harvard women's soccer team upped its record to 3-0 Saturday, over-powering a talented but inexperienced B.C. squad, 3-0.

The Crimson eleven, playing their first home game of the year, scored back-to-back goals late in the first half to turn a 1-

Harvard wing Marcia Hamelin opened the scoring after ten minutes of play, fielding a pass from striker Sue St. Louis and drilling it past the Eagles' netminder.

The Crimson booters dominated play for the next 33 minutes, but couldn't score due to the sensational performance of B.C.'s freshman goalie Kathy Collins.

Finally, with two minutes left in the half, Harvard back-striker Sara Fischer hit St. Louis with a crisp centering pass and St. Louis powered a shot past Collins for the team's second goal.

Less than a minute later, St. Louis split the Eagle defense and went one-on-one against Collins. St. Louis held her shot until Collins committed herself and then fired into the lower right corner for Harvard's final tally.

Crimson mentor Bob Scalise felt the key to the booters' victory was defense, noting "the defense is so solid our goalies only get tested in practice."

Junior back Wendy Sands played particularly well, intercepting several B.C. centering passes and preventing a certain Eagle tally with a spectacular head save early in the second half.

The booters host Ivy League powerhouse Brown this afternoon at 3:30. Coach Scalise expects the game to be close, adding "B.C. was very fast, but Brown will be faster."