Ivy Roundup: Elis Lose First

By John Donley

Insanity continued to be the rule in Ivy League football Saturday as Yale and Dartmouth lost breathtakers in the closing seconds, and Brown emerged from its early-season siesta to churn through Princeton like an Evinrude in a bathtub.

The Elis (1-0 league, 2-1 overall) were hoist with their own petard when coach Carm Cozza decided to go for a two-point conversion while trailing, 28-27, with 1:28 to go. The bold stratagem failed when end John Spagnola (nine catches for 153 yards) could not pluck quarterback Pat O'Brien's pass out of a crowd in the endzone.

Yale had led, 21-14, at halftime against the always-tough Scarlet Knights, largely on the passing of O'Brien and the running of back Ken Hull (26 carries for 126 yards), but Rutgers ground out yardage overland in the second half to set up the final scenario.

Dartmouth also lost a heartbreaker, as upstart B.U. (4-0) held off the Big Green twice at the goal-line in the closing minutes.

Terrier back Mal Najarian picked up 114 yards against the Dartmouth defense as B.U. tallied 13 points in the fourth quarter to take the lead.

Mauling

The Bruins mauled the Tigers, 44-16, as Princeton continued to show its inability to win at Palmer Stadium. After Princeton's Pete Funke gamboled 37 yards with an interception for a first quarter TD, the Brown offensive machine got its act together for the first time all year and punched over 44 points in three quarters.

In other action, Cornell decked Bucknell's tiny squad, 24-0, in Ithaca, and th Penn Quakers handed Columbia its first loss, 31-19, at Franklin Field Saturday night.