Institute Gives Grants

News Shorts

The National Institute of Education will give grants to Radcliffe's Mary Ingraham Bunting Institute to provide ten full fellowships over the next two years, Marion Kilson, director of the institute, said yesterday.

This latest grant will supplement funding by Radcliffe, the Lilly Endowment, Inc., and the Carnegie Corporation, who together provide 35 scholars and artists with institute fellowships.

President Horner said yesterday, "all the grants that are given will simply strengthen the kinds of things the institute has done right along--the Institute takes women seriously and gives them the gift of time and the support they need."

The Bunting Institute sponsors 25 fellows and 10 research associates in residence. All fellows are professional women; their fields vary, but 25 per cent work in the arts. The group of research associates includes one man this year; these scholars work on projects for publication relating to women in modern society.

The Bunting Institute, formerly the Institute for Independent Study, was renamed in honor of Mary Ingraham Bunting, former president of Radcliffe, on September 16 at the Radcliffe Centennial celebrations. Bunting founded the institute in 1960.

Many of the Bunting fellows are untenured, junior faculty members who "can show a kind of work that is comparable or of higher quality than their male colleagues'," Honer said.

Emily Albu Hanawalt, assistant professor of classical studies at Boston University and a half-time fellow, said yesterday the fellowships provide time to do research projects necessary to gain tenure. "If I hadn't gotten this fellowship, I never would have gotten tenure," she added

The Bunting Institute is presently considering several new programs, including a program to study women in science and an international scholarship for the study of women in world society.