BSA Will Co-sponsor Protest At Kennedy School Dedication

The Harvard-Radcliffe Black Students Association (BSA) last night voted to join the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC) in sponsoring a demostration at the didication of the Kennedy School of Government October 21.

The vote concluded the discussion at last night meeting on the relationship between BSA's activities protesting Harvard investments in corporations operating in South Africa, and the actual liberation struggle in that country.

Kathryn Rice '79, president of BSA, urged members to attend an open organizational meeting this afternoon in Quincy House. Organizers hope to develop a strategy for Saturday's demonstration and to write out their reasons for protesting, Aron A. Estis '80, a members of BSA said yesterday.

Estis said the protest will call attention to the fact that major funding for portions of the new facility came from corporations and individuals substantially involved in South Africa. Estis specifically cited the Charles Englelhard Public Affairs Library, honoring the gift of $1 million from the Charles Engehard Foundation.

Protesters view Engelhard, who made much of his fortune in the South African gold mining industry, as a symbol of white repression of blacks in South Africa, Estis added.

Solidarity

If both SASC and BSA officially sponsored the event, they would show greater solidarity among minority organizations against the University on the South African issue, several members said during the discussion.

Others said the move would give wider credibility to Saturday's demonstration by indicating wider student support of the protest.

The meeting also discussed the possible merger of the BSA with the Afro-American Cultural Center to eliminate meeting and program conflicts of the two black-students organizations. The group did not take any action the proposal.