Kissinger Endorses Edward Brooke; Calls Him 'A Man of Honor, Intregrity'

By Alexandra D. Korry

Former Secretary of State Henry A. Kissinger '50 yesterday endorsed Sen. Edward R. Brooke (R.-Mass) at a news conference at the USS Constitution Museum in Charlestown.

The former Harvard professor said he voluntarily came to yesterday's $100-a-head fundraiser to support Brooke because the Senator is "a man of honor, integrity, and a national asset."

Kissinger said he has known Brooke since 1965, when Brooke first considered running for office. Kissinger was one of the Harvard professors then consulted by Brooke.

Noting Brooke's seniority in the Senate and his strong defense and foreign policy stances, Kissinger said, "It would be an important loss if for some reason he would leave the Senate." He added, "Massachusetts needs him; the country needs him."

Why Fight?

Brooke said he and his Democratic opponent, Rep. Paul E. Tsongas, have very similar stands on social issues, but they differ in economic and foreign policy matters. Brooke added he has supported a strong national defense in his two terms in office because, "you have to negotiate from a position of strength."

Following the press conference the Senator, Kissinger and former Massachusetts Gov. John Volpe, chairman of the Committee to Re-Elect Edward Brooke, spoke briefly before a predominantly white, Republican audience of about 150, which included many Harvard alumni. Kissinger reiterated his support for the senator and spoke on the need for "linkage" (the simultaneous consideration of several issues) in foreign policy negotiations.

Accenting his remarks with quips, Kissinger spoke on the need for a strong defense and continued Middle East negotiations. Kissinger has been rumored to be considering running for Sen. Jacob K. Javits' (R-N.Y.) seat in 1980.

The former secretary of state warned that the reduction in the U.S. arms program will have a significant effect in the 1980s when, he said, most of the world will be in turmoil.

Addressing a question from the audience on Cuba and human rights. Kissinger said the U.S. cannot accept a country "creating havoc everywhere" by sending military missions around the world. He added, "If a non-communist country did this, everyone would claim it was imperialism."