Head of the Charles Regatta

Shells Gather Here For Crew Classic

For over 3000 rowers in 712 shells, the most important sporting event in Cambridge this weekend is not the Dartmouth game.

Crews and scullers from across the country are arriving here for the rowing world's fall classic, the 14th annual Head of the Charles Regatta, sponsored by the Cambridge Boat Club.

From 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sunday, a boat will cross the Boston University boathouse starting line once every 10-15 seconds. The shells will row the rigorous three-mile course upstream to the finish line about one-half-mile past the Eliot Bridge.

This year's program of 18 events includes two new races, a mixed eight (four men, four women and cox), and the men's midweight single for scullers up to 170 lbs. Entries in most events have reached the limit of 40.

The Head of the Charles gives boats from colleges, clubs and high schools a chance to compete in one regatta. Youth and veteran events provide age-group competition--some high school oarsmen are as young as 14 or 15, while scullers in their 70s compete in the veteran race.

Computers time each shell from start to finish, while digital stop watches provide back-up times. Unofficial results are posted at the finish line shortly after each race, but times and standings are final only after protests have been decided and penalties assessed.

Since the boats race against the clock rather than head-to-head, the fans never know for sure how their favorites are doing. The complicated seeding system, which combines the previous year's finish for an organization with the Cambridge officials' estimate of speed, often puts fast crews behind slower ones.

The bow marker on each shell indicates the position in which it started. A high-numbered shell passing a lower-numbered one is doing well, relatively speaking--it has picked up 10-15 seconds on the boat it passes.

The result of the staggered start is something on the order of a demolition derby, especially in the novice and youth events, where coxswains are less experienced. As the shells jockey for position on the turns, near collisions are the rule--rarely is a cox willing to cede the right-of-way if he thinks he can keep his place.

Organic, Man

The Eliot Bridge (next one upstream of Newell) is the connoisseur's choice vantage point for collisions. The inside position for this sharp turn is crucial, and tangled oars are a frequent occurrence between shells battling for the coveted spot. The turn reverses through the bridge, and more mishaps often ensue in the attempt to cross to the other side.

Most of the races carry trophies as prizes, and all give medals to the first five places. Finishers in each event are awarded points toward a team cup, the Paul Revere Point Trophy. Harvard returns as the defending overall champion, with a fleet of 30 boats in the regatta. Yale, the 1976 winner, will enter 23 shells.

Harvard's own Harry Parker is seeded eighth in the elite singles, and former lightweight coach John Higginson ranks third in the midweights. Super sculler-Greg Stone, the defending champ in the elites, will miss this year's Head in favor of the World Championships in New Zealand, but sister Jenny will carry on the family name in the women's singles.

Rubdown Crackdown

Harvard's heavyweights will defend their Boston Globe Challenge Trophy (elite eights) in a new shell of white molded plastic. The boat, on loan from its designer, weighs only 175 lbs. fully rigged. It's new, it's light, and it could be very hard to set up in rough conditions, but the Crimson eight has to be a favorite to repeat as champs.

On this side of the river, the Radcliffe oarswomen will enter six boats in the Head. The women's four, a winner in 1976, should make the strongest showing of all the Radcliffe entries--the eight will have to race in the men's lightweight event because the entry fees were delayed. Two groups will team with Harvard in the mixed eight.

The weather forecast calls for Indian summer, so the banks of the Charles might be a great place to nurse your Dartmouth-weekend hangover. The racing will be good, and you're bound to see someone you know.