Dear Mom,

Cracker Jack

By John Donley

October 21, 1978

Mrs. Inez Donley

326 N. 27th St.

Allentown, Pa. 18104

Dear Mom,

As I'm sure you know, this is the first time I've written you a letter in four years, but I've been busy and all, and besides, this is the first time I've been depressed in my college career.

I mean, it was bad enough when Pat's Towing Service sent me a letter Wednesday with a Pat's credit card application enclosed. But the thing that's really got me depressed is the football team.

You remember freshman year when the Crimson went 7-2 and won the Ivy crown? And then the next year we were 6-3 and last year we slipped to 4-5? Well, even that was O.K., but now things have gone a little too far.

So far this year, we've lost to Columbia and Cornell--which is sort of like Pete Maravich losing a game of D-O-N-K-E-Y to Buddy Hackett.

Seven grand a year, ma, and we can't even beat Columbia and Cornell. Heck, the best thing about the football games these days are the tasty roast beef sandwiches in the press box.

Anyway. I guess I'll pull through this OK, and I'll see you next week at the Princeton game (by the way, I'm bringing my laundry home). Yes, all my roommates are fine, and I'm studying hard--I even attended an extracurricular seminar Thursday night at 33 Dunster St., a distinguished Cambridge institution.   Love,

Tell Gio I said hi.   John

P.S. Tell Dad no shoo fly pie at the Princeton tailgate.

*****

DARTMOUTH at HARVARD--I've never seen a Harvard football team lose to Dartmouth, and I don't want to see things change today. But, really, how can you pick a team that's already beaten Penn and Yale? My heart says yes, but my bookie says no. Dartmouth 28, Harvard 22 (sorry).

COLUMBIA at YALE--This would be today's upset pick, except for one thing--Princeton over Colgate is this week's upset pick. And, besides, Yale losing three straight would be like an Elsie burger without Russian dressing--hard to stomach. Put this in your pipe and smoke it, Cal Moffie: Yale 48, Columbia 10.

COLGATE at PRINCETON--All signs point to a Colgate win. The Red Raiders beat strong Villanova last week, the Tigers are 0-3-1 and Princeton hardly ever wins at home. So who says I can't pick a name out of a hat every once in a while? Princeton 24, Colgate 23.

BROWN at CORNELL--Big Red tailback Joe Holland went through Harvard's defense last Saturday the way Sherman went through Atlanta, leaving carnage and a 25-20 loss behind. But Holland can't carry 55 times every game, and Brown can't be eliminated from the Ivy race this early. Brown 17, Cornell 7, and I must confess that this is nothing more than a wild guess.

PENN at LAFAYETTE--No guesswork here. The Quakers will munch on the Leopards as if they were so many fried shrimp. Penn 35, Lafayette 7.

LAST WEEK: 2-2 (a plea of temporary insanity)

SEASON: 13-9 (.595)

SEASON WHILE MAKING PICKS BEFORE ATTENDING MASTER'S OPEN HOUSE: 9-1