A Split Emerges in Assembly Over Issues on South Africa

By J. WYATT Emmerich

A split is emerging in the Student Assembly between representatives who want the assembly to take an immediate stand on issues relating to South Africa and representatives who want the assembly to follow a cautious policy toward the issues.

The split could show up tomorrow if one of the 96 Student Assembly members introduces a resolution at the assembly meeting criticizing the Kennedy School of Government for naming a library after Charles Engelhard, a powerful American enterpreneur in South Africa.

Most representatives contacted yesterday said the chances are good that a representative would introduce such a resolution tomorrow or within the next few weeks.

Mark Smith '72-4, who spoke on behalf of student protesters at the opening of the Kennedy School and who may serve as the assembly representative from the Black Students' Association (BSA), said yesterday. "If I were the representative, I surely would (introduce a resolution criticizing the Kennedy School) and I'm sure someone from the BSA will, regardless."

Such a move would upset representatives who want the assembly to study issues relating to South Africa carefully and perhaps hold a campus-wide referendum before taking action, representatives said yesterday.

"There's no reason to rush off a statement (on South Africa), and it could hurt us," Carl Rosen '80, a representative who is an active member of the Southern Africa Solidarity Committee (SASC), said yesterday. "I'm hoping the assembly won't try to take over the issue. The SASC and the United Front can hold their own."

Michael A. Calabrese '79, chairman of the Committee on College Life, said yesterday he thinks passing a resolution criticizing the Kennedy School for naming a library after Engelhard would be "slipping through the back door" on South African issues.

Other representatives, however, said yesterday they fear that by delaying South African issues too long, the assembly will be abdicating its responsibility to speak out on the issues their constituents are most concerned about.

"What some people want to do is write letters to companies, call in speakers, and spend a lot of time on the issue," John Gilbert '80, a Mather representative, said yesterday. "I see it (the Engelhard library issue) as an issue that can certainly be discussed without extensive committee forming and such nonsense."