With Many Thanks...

I didn't have to write this column. You know, papers, hourlies, Dartmouth weekend and all that. Luckily, yesterday I found
By Bill Ginsberg

I didn't have to write this column. You know, papers, hourlies, Dartmouth weekend and all that. Luckily, yesterday I found three colleagues of mine in the Yard who have been out of work for the last two weeks and were willing to serve as guest columnists.

Tony Kubek: Thanks, Bill. I see this week as a letdown period, since Harvard is coming off its key victory over Dartmouth last weekend. I talked to some of the players before writing this column, and here's what they had to say about this week's upcoming game against Princeton at 1:30, Saturday...Right...Uh Huh...Well, good luck Saturday. And now, over to my colleague, Joe Garagiola, who will give you a rundown on the rest of the action taking place at Princeton.

Thanks, Tony. You know football is a game of inches, at least that's what my old buddy Dizzy Dean said. Which reminds me, the women's field hockey team, the men's and women's soccer squads, as well as freshman football contingents, will all be seeing action at Princeton, Saturday morning at 10:30.

Of course, as my mother used to say, there's nothing tougher than catching Wilbur Wood's knuckleball, which also reminds me that Harvard teams will also be competing in New Haven, Friday. Both the women and the men harriers will tangle with Yale and Princeton in the "Big Three" meet, with the first race beginning at 2:30.

Before I go any further, let's go down to Curt Gowdy in the Yard. Hello, Curt? Thanks, Joe, I'm here with John Harvard in front of University Hall, where John has...

Thanks Curt, as I was syaing, hit 'em where they ain't, and I wouldn't trade a whole weekend in New Haven for the chance to strike out in the major leagues as often as I did. Now back 'o Tony.

Thanks Joe, and thanks Curt. Well the only thing Joe failed to mention was the men's soccer game against Tufts next Wednesday at the Business School at 3:00. Also on Wednesday, the freshman football team travels to Andover for a game at 2:30.

Okay, that's all for Harvard this week, but we do have some pro action on tap, so here's Joe again.

Thanks, Tony. The New England Patriots will host the New York Jets in Foxboro, Sunday at 1:00. And of course, New York will be trying to move into a first-place tie with New England by knocking them off. Here's Curt with more on the story.

Thanks Joe. I was reading in the paper today how the Jets were hoping to win, and then I read another story about how the coach of New England was looking for a key victory. Well, it should be a hard-fought game. Back to Joe.

Thanks for the analysis and insight, Curt. Not much else to speak of, except for one Celtics home game next Wednesday at the Garden. Tip-off will be at 7:30. which seems a lot like the old glory days of the Celtics. Boy, even when the Celtics were winning all those championships I was still on the bench watching Don Larsen on the mound. He used to scuff up the ball, and the umpire would walk out to the mound, and then the manager would come out, and before you knew anything. I'd be traded to another team. Back to you, Tony.

Thanks, Joe. Sitting with me at the typewriter is the commissioner of baseball, Bowie Kuhn. And now let's go back to Curt, who's still talking to John Harvard.

Thanks, Tony. You know, John Harvard led the league for almost two hundred years in almost every department...

Thanks, Curt, and here's Joe for a final wrap-up of this week's TV action.

Thanks, Tony. A special highlight tonight -- the Minnesota Vikings will face the Dallas Cowboys at 8:30. Then tomorrow night there will be an NBA game on channel 7 at 11:30 p.m. Saturday you can see the Bruins skating against the Toronto Maple Leafs at 8:00 p.m. That's all, back to you, Tony.

Thanks, Joe. I'd like to thank my statistician, Victor Bondi, who spotted all the games this week, as well as the Commissioner for being with us today.

This week's "Cheer of the Week" has been brought to us by David Halberstam '55. In regard to his participation in a forum at the Kennedy School on the changing American presidency last week, Halberstam commented. "It's an honor to be seated with the professors (J.K. Galbraith and Richard Neustadt) who gave me C's when I was an undergraduate."

And now, speaking for Curt, Joe and myself, thanks, Bill.

We now return you to our regularly scheduled magazine.