Council Endorses City Snow Policy

Although last winter's blizzard clogged Cambridge streets for almost a week and brought many citizen complaints, city officials told a City Council meeting last night that they do not expect to modify last year's snow removal plans.

George Teso, traffic commissioner, said that stricter enforcement of existing laws would help keep the streets clean.

Teso, Cambridge Police Chief Leo Davenport, and Conrad Fagone, public works commissioner, said they expect their snow removal plans to be adequate this year because they do not expect another 40-inch snowfall like that recorded during last February's blizzard.

City Councilor Saundra Graham said that vigilant enforcement of the law requiring landlords to keep their front walks clear should improve conditions.

When asked if landlords were indeed required to clean their sidewalks last year, Teso said, "In fact we even sent a summons to Derek Bok because he was listed as the owner of some un-shoveled land."

The city council also discussed the Red Line extension project of the Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority (MBTA). Francis M. Keville, the MBTA's regional project manager, announced to the council that the conference on contract bids for the project would be held on October 12, and that bids would officially open November 9.

The city council also considered a possible ordinance that would require stricter licensing policies for pinball machines, and an annual license fee of $250 for pinball machines operating in Cambridge establishments.

All council members received a copy of the proposed rule, and the council voted to move it to the Committee on Ordinances.