Crimson J.V. Hammer Brown; Keyte, Hollingsworth Lead Way

Harvard's J.V. gridders overpowered Brown J.V. 13-12, at Soldier's Field yesterday in what Crimson coach Lee Fanning called a "team game, team win."

As wingback Jon Hollingsworth stormed through Brown's defense, quarterbacks Jim Keyte, Pat Daly and Brian Buckley gave strong performances passing and running. Individual performances aside, the players "mustered up the idea of ateam," Fanning said.

Harvard scored dramatically late in the first half as quarterback Buckley, surrounded by Brown rushers, unloaded a desperation pass to fullback Tom Beatrice, who trotted in for the score.

After scrambling to a first down only to fumble, Keyte came back to complete two passes to Jerry Rappaport at the close to the third quarter, putting Harvard on the Brown four yardline. Al Altieri plowed across the line four plays later to put six more points on the board for the Crimson and Tony Cimmarusti added the extra point.

Quality, Not Quantity

Unable to score steady, long drives, Brown had to rely on big plays by quarterbacks Mike Katchmer and Larry Carbone, and running back Larry Lesperance.

In the final minute, Brown drove suddenly to the Harvard 35 and scored three plays later. An incomplete conversion pass left the score at 13-12.

A visibly pleased Fanning said after the game, "We stymied their offense. That Saturday afternoon fever carried over from UMass."