Late Mleczko Goals Help Stickwomen to, 3-2, Win

In spite of the inclement weather, the Harvard field hockey team proved that nothing was going to rain on its parade as it marched over Northeastern, 3-2, yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Surprisingly enough, the Harvard stick-women never gained the lead until the final two minutes of play when junior marvel Sarah Mleczko scored her second goal in a two-minute span.

Neither team dominated the opening half, although Northeastern's first shot on goal put it on the scoreboard after only two and one-half minutes of play. The Huskies retained the lead for more than 20 minutes, until Harvard senior Susie McCune drove in a goal from the circle off a pass by Tania Huber, making the half-time score 1-1.

Good For Two

While Harvard controlled the ball through most of the second half, the team found itself on the losing side again when Northeastern's Maryanne Milette tapped a rebound into the Crimson net 19 minutes into the half. Play continued and it wasn't until the final ten minutes that Mleczko decided to take the game into her own hands.

Mleczko rushed her first mark from outside the circle after receiving a pass from sophomore Elaine Kellogg, tying the score at two-all. Just three minutes later, Mleczko broke the tie as she knocked in the final and deciding goal of the game unassisted.

"It was close," coach Debi Field said afterward. "We made some mistakes defensively but our offense was on target thanks to Sarah Mleczko."

A Touch of Class

Co-captain Ellen Seidler said, "What was really important was that we came from behind twice. We kept our poise."

The Harvard stickwomen will try to add another win to their 2-1 record when they face Boston University Saturday at 6 p.m.