Lebanese Faction Fears Split Of Lebanon From Arab World

By David M. Johnson

Three members of the Lebanese National Movement (LNM) last night told a capacity crowd in Science Center C the present Lebanese situation reflects an attempt to isolate Lebanon from the Arab world.

Lebanon's present uneasy peace involves "a Zionist plan of action supported by the United States with the express purpose of liquidating the Palestinian question and alienating the Lebanese patriotic forces," Semier Sabbagh, professor of sociology at Lebanese University, said yesterday.

Last night's appearance, sponsored by numerous area Palestinian and Arab groups, is part of a tour of the United States being made by five members of the LNM to inform Americans about the Lebanese situation.

The representatives described their movement as the principal ally of the Palestinian resistance in Lebanon and as opponents of the right-wing Lebanese Phalangist party.

Sabbagh said isolationist forces in the country were attempting to withdraw Lebanon from the conflict with Zionism.

Inaam Ra'ad, vice chairman of the LNM's Central Political Committee, said yesterday the Camp David accords would destabilize the area by ignoring the Palestinian's right to self-determination.

When asked about the proper United States role in Lebanon, Ra'ad said President Carter's recent statements on Lebanon were "very touching," but added the United States should intervene less in the affairs of Lebanon.

After the main discussion, about half the audience stayed for a further talk given in Arabic.