Not Just an Ordinary Game of Pick-up

Extraterrestrial Basketball

By Laurence S. Grafstein

Hopelessly addicted hoopsters who dream about making the perfect slam dunk will have a chance to satisfy their fantasies in the first annual Pi Eta Galactic Invitational Three-on-Three Basketball Tournament later this month.

At least 16 four-man squads will compete, although that number might increase if enough teams are willing to pay the $20 entry fee. Bill Aulet, one of the event's co-organizers, said yesterday.

"The response has been amazing. There's a lot of people interested in having a real good time instead of just playing pickup," Aulet said.

As a result, the organizing committee has ambitious plans for the affair, including a banquet at the Pi Eta club where awards will be presented by a celebrity to be named at a leter date. They also hope to produce tournament t-shirts and to circulate a newsletter ("The Galactic Flash") complete with a top-ten poll and scoring statistics.

Prizes to be awarded include the John Belushi Award for the top player in high black Converse sneakers, the Derek Bok Interstellar Cerebellum Award for the player who uses his talent to the fullest, and the Larry Flint Hustler Award.

Galaxy of Stars

The caliber of basketball is an important attraction of the tournament, Aulet, who played varsity basketball last year, said. Among the students expected to take part are Charlie Baker, Frank Konstantynowicz, Mark Hadley and Mike Stenhouse, former members of the varsity basketball squad, as well as star gridders Larry Brown and Craig Beling.

The tourney's regulations stipulate there will be three "High Commissioners of Galactic Action" whose decisions will be final; the "Commissar of communication and general Ivy League Profundity," Tim Clifford; the "Commissar of Propulsion and Meandering Sophomoric Prose," Burke St. John; and the "Commissar of Questionable creativity", none other than Aulet.

The rule book also says anyone not currently on Frank McLaughlin's varsity team who is shorter than 6-ft. 6-in. ("1,919 phobons" in galactic terms) is eligible to play.

Protection

The organizing committee has certified Gunther Beer as the tournament's official beverage, and the American Motors Jeep as the official vehicle. The competition is slated to start right after Thanksgiving.

All games will be halfcourt, and will be scored to 21 by ones, with a winning margin of at least two points. The "High Commission" plans to hold some contests at halftime of varsity matches, and will probably use the Indoor Athletic Building for the tournament finals.