Goldfinger Redux

THE APPROVAL of a resolution by the Kennedy School of Government's Student Association calling on the school to rename the Charles Engelhard Library of Public Affairs, marks a significant if hardly decisive point in the Engelhard affair. Given the usual ineffectiveness of student governing groups, the Kennedy School's student association resolution will not by itself force the administration to remove Engelhard's name. But it is important, because it is the first organized symbol of resistance from within the school itself, a crucial addition to the usual groups associated with the South Africa issue at Harvard.

The student association's resolution should force the Kennedy School's demonstrably embarrassed and resistant administration to realize that the Engelhard question will not be allowed to die a quiet death in the wake of the school's inaugural ceremonies. The issue remains alive, boosted by the student association's action. We hope the various groups now involved in the drive to change the library's name, some of which represent widely divergent political views--can hold together for the good of the cause at hand. In the face of considerable administration intransigence, any divisiveness could well result in a decision to retain Engelhard's name. Such glorification of racism and immorally gained fortune cannot be tolerated.

We applaud the student association's resolution, and hope that in retrospect it will mark a turning point in the fight to rename the Engelhard Library.