Harvard Houses Sweep Yale Teams In Tackle Football

By Nell Scovell

Harvard swept Yale in house-college tackle football yesterday, as Leverett, Mather, South, Kirkland, Winthrop, and Eliot Houses all posted victories.

Kirkland maintained its perfect record this season and avenged last year's loss to Yale by edging out its opponents, 20-16.

K-Houser Eddie Thompkins scored twice in the first half on sweeps to the right and teammate Terry Tedeschi's catch on the conversion after the second touchdown added two more points. Yale, however, also scored twice in the first half and led 16-14 at halftime.

The game-winning play occurred in the third quarter when Harvard's Billy Maddox intercepted a Yale pass and ran it 35 yards, for six big points and a Kirkland House victory.

Leverett, second only to K-House in Harvard tackle football, stomped on the Yalies, 16-0. Bunny Bob Holz set the tone of the contest by scoring on the second offensive play of the match. Player-coach Bill Lewis returned a short punt to give Leverett six more points and Tony Rothchild finished off the blue and white with a 37-yd. field goal in the third quarter.

Locks and Bagels

South House left the Yalies looking very silly after shutting them out, 26-0. Bob Tedaldi, Dana Redhair, Jim Pelgriff and Angel Leon, with the help of Mike Casey, all scored for the Quad contingent.

Mather House showed no mercy in blanking Jonathan Edwards-Branford, 32-0. Glen Johnson brought in Mather's first 12 points, while Charlie Baker and John Parker together notched another dozen for Harvard. Jeff Brown, Glen Parsons, Rich McPherson, and Charlie Baker all converted two-point attempts.

Winthrop House was also victorious, beating the blue and white, 21-6. Thropians Pat Reagan and Jude Kearney both scored in the first half, while Jim Vrenese racked up six more points for Harvard in the third quarter. George Arnold was successful in all three extra point attempts.

Eliot triumphed over Trumball-Saybrook, 14-8. Paul McNicol passed to Roy McLeese to get on the scoreboard, and Marty Fitzpatrick ran in the winning touchdown with only four minutes left to play.