Iran Will Release Prisoners In Apparent Reaction to Protests

TEHRAN, Iran--In an apparent move to curb strikes and stem the tide of anti-government riots, Justice Minister Hussein Najafi announced Wednesday that all political prisoners in Iran will be freed December 10.

Meanwhile a strike by 37,000 oil refinery workers cut Iran's oil export flow by more than half. The oil workers' demands include more money and freedom for political prisoners.

The announcement that the government would free the prisoners came as reports poured into the capital of new strikes and more violent demonstrations across the country.

Authorities said 25 anti-government protesters were killed and at least 56 injured in clashes with troops or supporters of the Shah, Iran's imperial ruler.

The demonstrators, incited by Moslem religious leaders, demanded the release of persons jailed for their opposition to the Shah.

At Tehran University, 20,000 students gathered peacefully on the campus to shout anti-Shah slogans and mix with opposition political leaders.

Najafi did not say how many persons would be freed on Dec. 10, the day the United Nations celebrates human rights. It appeared that persons jailed for inciting public unrest in the nationwide demonstrations that have killed 1 000 people since January would be released, but not those convicted of violent politically motivated acts.

The oil industry strike could create a tight crude oil situation if itlasts a week or longer. The strike will affect the United States, which buys 900,000 barrels a day from Iran, and Japan, which depends on Iranian crude for 20-per-cent of its annual need.