Faculty Drama Committee Hears Report on Brustein

By Susan C. Faludi

The Standing Committee on Drama heard a report yesterday by Glen W. Bowersock '57, associate dean of the Faculty on undergraduate education and a member of the committee, on the possible appointment of Robert S. Brustein, dean of the Yale School of Drama, as director of the Loeb.

Franklin L. Ford, chairman of the committee and McLean Professor of Ancient and Modern History, said yesterday Bowersock gave a "careful, informational report" on the progress of negotiations between the administration and Brustein.

Brustein approached the administration over a month ago with a proposal to bring the Yale Repertory Theater to the Loeb and set up an undergraduate drama program under his direction, probably starting in the fall of 1980.

Kerry L. Konrad '79, president of the Harvard-Radcliffe Dramatic Club (HRDC), and a member of the committee, said yesterday Bowersock disclosed at the meeting that he has concluded a search required by Federal affirmative action guidelines for minority candidates in the field who might also be considered for the post of director at the Loeb.

Bowersock said yesterday the search began in mid-October. He would not comment on the results of the search.

The purpose of yesterday's meeting. Ford said, was to "bring all the committee members up to date" on Brustein's possible appointment.

The committee put off until its December meeting discussion of the "philosophical issues" of Brustein's appointment--such as the role of the committee if Brustein is appointed and the nature of the relationship between the repertory company and undergraduates at the Loeb, Ford said.

Rest In Peace

Konrad said he thought negotiations with Brustein had progressed too far for useful discussions of philosophy. The meeting, he added, gave the members "a chance to gripe," but will have "no effect on the long-term process."

One member of the committee commented at the meeting that the com- mittee's role "was like presiding over a wake," because the administration is consulting with the committee only after they have reached a decision, Konrad added.

William Alfred, a member of the committee and William R. Keenan Jr. professor of English, said yesterday committee members "should not feel left out" of the decision process. "The theater is a funny business," he said. "When a really good person comes along, the administration has to move in fast and grab him. There isn't time for consultation."

Bowersock declined to comment on the committee meeting. However, before the meeting Bowersock said his report would "tell the members exactly what has happened--all the gory details."

Douglas I. Schwalbe, managing director of the Loeb and a member of the committee, said yesterday that Bowersock's report acquainted the committee with "the chronology of the process" between the administration and Brustein. Aside from "interesting details," he added, "the substance of the report was no news to anybody.