Trackmen to Start Against B.U.

By Nell Scovell

The Harvard indoor track team will attempt to change its past image as a squad which, despite its great potential, never seems to make it to the top when the season opens today at 6 p.m. in the ITT against much-improved B.U.

Training got off to a slow start this year as the team had to find replacements for the unusually large number of seniors who graduated last year, and many of the 20 returning lettermen had conflicts and couldn't work out.

"We're going into this meet with an unclear picture of what we have and don't have," coach Bill McCurdy said yesterday adding, "nothing is nailed down right now with the exception of Geoff Stiles and the 35-lb weight throwers who should all have outstanding years."

Stiles, the team's captain, took first place in the pole vault at the Heps, the GBCs, and the IC4As last year boasting a best height of 15-8.

The returning weight throwers, Tom Lenz and Tom McDevitt, also turned in strong performances for last year's 5-2 team, tying for third place at the Heps, and are looking tough this year.

Harvard has always had strong jumpers, and this year is no exception. Mark Young returns to the high jump while freshman Bennett Midlo leads the long jumpers. In the triple jump Bruce Brooks looks good while freshman Shawn Hall shows great promise provided he gets over an old high school injury.

To round out the field events, senior Gary Quantock will put the shot.

Coming off of an outstanding cross country season, Peter Fitzsimmons, Ed Sheehan, Thad McNulty and Mark Meyer should all do well in the distances although competition in this event tends to be stiff.

"In the middle distances, I'm hoping that last year's new people have matured into more than just good prospects," McCurdy said. People to look for in these events are sophomore David Frim, who will run the 600, and John Chafee, who will take on the half-mile provided he can smoothly convert from a cross country pace to the speed of the track.

The team will feel the loss of last year's three hurdlers. The 60-yd. dash will be another weakpoint although junior Joe Salvo and a few prospects should keep opponents from totally dominating the sprinters.

"Things started out slow but now they're picking up" Stiles said, adding, "If we can pull together as a unit we should do well."